after Charles Catton the elder, RA (Norwich 1728 – London 1798)
A watercolour on paper, showing a self-portrait of the artist, after Charles Catton the elder, RA (Norwich 1728 – London 1798). A half-length portrait of an artist in a wig, holding a palette and brushes and leaning on a half completed canvas of a lion. There is a pencil inscription on the back panel: 'C. Catton, Norwich, artist'. There is also a print-seller label 'Freeman, carver and gilder, No.2 London Lane, Norwich' and 'W. Boswell and Son, Picture Restorers, 48 London St, Norwich'. A copy of the self-portrait, in oils, is now in the Yale Center for British Art. Catton was born in Norwich, the son of Richard and Hannah Catton. He trained as an heraldic painter in London and became coach painter to King George III. He became a Master of the Company of Painters-Stainers in 1783 and is buried in Bloomsbury Cemetery, London.
Part of the Windham Collection. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust in 1969 by Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer (1906-1969).
Makers and roles
after Charles Catton the elder, RA (Norwich 1728 – London 1798), artist