Historic Services / Security & fire
1700 - 1825
Iron, leather, wood, copper and brass.
1500 mm (H); 760 mm (W); 1000 mm (D); 1200 mm (Length)Order this image
Felbrigg, Norfolk (Accredited Museum)
On show at
William Windham II was a man of many talents; he spoke four languages fluently and enjoyed bookbinding, wood-turning and making fireworks. This fire engine was bought after his fireworks workshop exploded in 1755.
Antique fire fighting equipment, consisting of a hide hose and copper and brass nozzle attached to pump on four iron frame wheels. Two wooden pumping handles. Painted black and brown, stencilled in white 'FELBRIGGE HALL'. English, C18-early C19. House fire engine, possibly Newsham 2-4 man. Hose consists of a strip of hide rivetted together to form a hose, natural russet colour.
Part of the Windham Collection. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust in 1969 by Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer (1906-1969).