Fragment of Chinese wallpaper of 'bird and flower' type, including a pair of pheasants seated on a rock, the outlines woodblock-printed and the colours added by hand. It includes part of a figure of a lady, which may have been cut out from a Chinese print or picture and applied to the wallpaper by the paper hangers. Some of the other sections of the scenery seem to be applied as well. The fragment was conserved and mounted on backing paper by Sandiford and Mapes Ltd.
Originally hung in the Little Parlour in about 1750, probably through the agency of architect James Paine (1717-89), covered over with another wallpaper in about 1770 and rediscovered following the 1989 fire.