100 x 57 x 48.2 cm
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Uppark House and Garden, West Sussex (Accredited Museum)
On show at
A mahogany side chair, from a set of ten, circa 1750, with a centrally-arched back and cabriole legs carved with foliage to the knees and terminated in scroll feet, the back and seat covered with petit-point needlework reputedly by Mary Anne Fetherstonhaugh (1805-1874). These seats relate to another set at Uppark, a pair of armchairs (NT 137647) and a pair of stools (NT 137646) although differences in the carving of the legs are noticeable. They were made from an elaborate design, in connection with Thomas Chippendale's Director, and according the standard of workmanship, they must have been produced by a foremost maker. They were probably commissioned by Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh (1714-1774) following the remodeling of Uppark interiors. According to his account book he made payments to William Hallett, John Cobb and William Vile but unfortunately no evidence survived to allow for links to individual pieces at Uppark.
Purchased by the National Trust in 1976 from the Trustees of the late R.J. Meade-Fetherstonhaugh, Esq.