A marquetry cabinet, South German, Augsburg, circa 1570. Profusely inlaid throughout with architectural scenes, foliage, fruit and geometric motifs, the fall front (now detached) depicting meandering leafy tendrils and three-dimensional scrolls within borders, opening to reveal an arrangement of eight variously sized drawers around a central door depicting a rearing horse with rider and castles beyond within an arch. The long drawer at lower left pulls completely out as a hinged writing slide with brass supports behind to vary the angle, and with three concealed drawers beneath, large one on left, 2 small ones to right. The columns across the middle section pull out to reveal secret drawers within. The sides and hinged top also depicting buildings within arches and outer foliate borders. Iron carrying handles, shaped lock-plate and corner locking bolts.
Sudeley Castle, Gloucestershire. Given to the National Trust with Snowshill Manor in 1951 by Charles Paget Wade.
Riccardi-Cubitt, Monique, The Art of The Cabinet, Thames and Hudson, 1992, Plate 14 + 15 Baarsen, R. '17th century cabinets', Rijksmuseum, 2000, P.3-9