Cabinet on stand
||Black lacquered box with gold inlay
|Place of origin
Charles Paget Wade’s fascination with objects of craftsmanship started with this cabinet.
Cabinet on stand, black lacquer with gold decoration. Fairly plain black stand with shaped stretchers, bun feet and fretwork brackets. Cabinet as Buddhist shrine and drawers. Belonged to Charles Paget Wade's Grandmother Spencer. Known as 'Grannie's Cabinet'. 'the cabinet was bought in 1850 by Augustine Bulwer, Charles Wade's Great grandfather. The exterior has a second decoration painted over the original. The left hand side was cleaned off by Charles Paget Wade's Grandfather. In the centre at the back are two long vertical inscriptions of felicity and prosperity' (M. Jessup).
CPW item 23 Given to the National Trust with Snowshill Manor in 1951 by Charles Paget Wade.