Silvered glass, Textile, Wood
114 x 165 x 125 cm
Place of origin
United KingdomOrder this image
Sunnycroft, Shropshire (Accredited Museum)
Known to the residents of Sunnycroft as ‘the cosy corner’, this little nook by the fire was added to the house by Mary Jane Slaney during her extensive alterations to the house in 1899. The Victorian corner seat has a brass hook so that you could attach a fire screen; ladies embroidering in the Drawing Room could protect themselves from the heat of the fire, and gossip in cosy privacy.
A white-painted and upholstered corner seat, English, circa 1899, with buttoned back, padded seat and valance in floral fabric, with eight turned and fluted legs, the upper white painted section with china display shelf, with mirror-back open display corner bracket.
Sunnycroft was built in 1880 for J.G. Wackrill, founder of the Shropshire Brewery. It was bought in the early 1890s by Mary Jane Slaney who proceeded to extend the house and lay out the grounds to create the estate that is there today. After Mary Slaney died in 1912 the property was bought by her brother-in-law John Vernon Thomas Lander. Three generations of the Lander family lived at Sunnycroft. J.V.T. Lander's granddaughter Joan bequeathed the estate to the National Trust in 1997.