Oil painting on canvas, The Church at Orford in Suffolk by Eugine Matilda Fortier (Ottawa 1856 - Hawkhurst, Kent 1952), probably 1930s. The church of St Bartholomew in the village of Orford, Suffolk was the Reverend Tudor's last parish. The church is viewed from behind a hedge and is almost entirely eclipsed by trees and shrubs in the middleground. The nave of the church can be seen beyond at the centre and the tower is just visible behind high mature trees at the far right. There is a strip of lawn in the immediate foreground and a laburnum tree at the far left. The time of year is apparently high Summer.
Purchased by the National Trust with the house and gardens from Mrs Ursula Tudor Perkins with the help of a grant from the NHMF in 1990
Makers and roles
Eugine Matilda Fortier, Mrs Hugh Tudor (Ottawa 1856 - Hawkhurst, Kent 1952), artist