A pair of limed oak coronation chairs, English, circa 1937, each with a rectangular cushioned backrest and curved seat, on four square-section legs, the front legs with chamfered edges, the backrest and seat upholstered in blue velvet (faded) with gold trim, the seat backs embroidered with the royal cipher 'GR VI' and a crown in gold thread. Made for the coronation of George VI.
In 1937 Sir Geoffrey Mander and his wife Rosalie gifted Wightwick Manor, its contents and gardens to the National Trust. Sir Geoffrey and his family continued to occupy and manage Wightwick adding to the collection in collaboration with the National Trust. Sir Geoffrey died in 1962 but Lady Mander continued to live at Wightwick and add to the collection until her death in 1988. A coronation chair 'with grey oak framework, upholstered with blue velvet and yellow braid' is listed in the Wightwick Manor 1937 inventory. This probably refers to one of these chairs (NT 1288153.1-.2).