Cabinet on stand
circa 1880 (with 17th century parts)
Pine carcass, the outside drawers in mulberry, ebonised, veneered with ebony, mulberry, walnut, burr-walnut, engraved brass, carved, gilt and painted softwood, gilt brass mounts.
178.5 x 120 x 48 cm
Place of origin
EuropeOrder this image
Polesden Lacey, Surrey (Accredited Museum)
A cabinet on stand, constructed in the nineteenth century combining seventeenth century parts of various origins, notably a Flemish cabinet but incorporating French giltwood cariatids and mounted with engraved brass-cut panels on a red velvet ground, possibly originally from a casket. The cabinet is surmounted by a gilt bronze balustrade gallery above a frieze of two drawers. It opens with a pair of central doors to an interior veneered with burr-walnut and mulberry fitted with a central niche flanked by six with small drawers to each side and a pair of long drawers, the front of the cabinet opens with twelve further drawers, it is raised on a stand with two frieze drawers on six giltwood caryatid legs carved with female and male busts terminated in scrolling acanthus, joined by a flat stretcher on bun feet.
Previous history and date of acquisition not recorded; recorded in the Corridor when bequeathed by Margaret McEwan, The Hon. Mrs Ronald Greville (1863-1942) with Polesden Lacey, to the National Trust, in memory of her father, William McEwan (1827-1913).