John Hancock (1808-1890)
Natural History / Taxidermy
Glass display dome with taxidermy Blue Cotingas
432 mm (H); 330 mm (W)Order this image
Cragside, Northumberland (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Lord Armstrong collected taxidermy and displayed his specimens in the gallery at Cragside House. Armstrong’s friend John Hancock was a celebrated local naturalist, and his pioneering work in mounting specimens in natural attitudes shocked and thrilled the Victorians. Armstrong collected a number of specimens mounted by John Hancock and also contributed liberally to the establishment of the Newcastle Museum of Natural History, which became known as the Hancock museum. The museum is now known as the Great North Museum: Hancock.
Two stuffed Blue Cotingas from South America, by John Hancock (1808-1890). Dated 1848. One bird is eating a pomegranate. Under a glass dome on a circular walnut base.
Armstrong collection. Transferred by the Treasury to The National Trust in 1977 via the National Land Fund, aided by 3rd Baron Armstrong of Bamburgh and Cragside (1919 - 1987).
Makers and roles
John Hancock (1808-1890), taxidermist