A pair of oak triple chair back settees, English, circa 1850. 17th century style, each with pierced foliate back panels separated by turned baluster uprights, foliate scroll ends to the arms and an overstuffed seat, raised on turned baluster supports and legs, tied by stretchers, brass castors.
Probably purchased by Richard Watt V (d.1865) during his restoration and refurbishment of Speke Hall during the 1850s and 60s. Bequeathed, as a secondary devise, to the National Trust by Adelaide Watt (d.1921) in 1943. Speke was initially bequeathed to the Norris family (who built the original house during the 16th century). It was then leased to Liverpool City Council and later to the Museums Department of Merseyside County Council. The National Trust took over direct management of Speke and its contents in 1986.