Speke Hall has several large sets of elaborately carved chairs in late 17th-century style. All are mid-Victorian, and most are upholstered in a crimson velvet which is stamped with a pattern of poppy heads, with trimmings held by gilt poppy-head nails.
A pair of oak and upholstered high back open armchairs, English, circa 1850. Each with a carved frame and oval padded back flanked by turned baluster uprights, surmounted by finials and with a pierced cartouche crest with winged figures. Scroll ends to the padded armrests raised on turned baluster supports and legs, tied by stretchers and with brass and ceramic castors.
Speke Hall and its contents were bequeathed, as a secondary devise, to the National Trust by Adelaide Watt (d.1921) in 1943. Speke was initially bequeathed to the Norris family (who built the original house during the 16th century). It was then leased to Liverpool City Council and later to the Museums Department of Merseyside County Council. The National Trust took over direct management of the house and its contents in 1986.