circa 1850 (with earlier elements)
210 cm (H); 147 cm (W); 55 cm (D)
Place of origin
BelgiumOrder this image
Speke Hall, Merseyside (Accredited Museum)
Early carved panels telling the story of Adam and Eve were imported from the Continent to make into three doors for this glorious oak cabinet. It was supplied by Wrights of Wardour Street, a London firm specialising in producing such pieces in the 1840s and 50s to satisfy a voracious market for neo-Renaissance furniture.
An oak and walnut side cabinet, probably Belgian, mid 19th century incorporating earlier carvings and panels. With three cupboard doors carved in relief with scenes of Adam and Eve, separated by fluted Ionic columns resting on a carved breakfront frieze with three drawers; two supports carved as rampant lions holding scrolls, on a carved undershelf and bun feet. Surmounted by a pierced and carved cresting of scrollwork, strapwork and urn-shaped cressets.
Probably purchased by Richard Watt V (d.1865) during his restoration and refurbishment of Speke Hall during the 1850s and 60s. Bequeathed, as a secondary devise, to the National Trust by Adelaide Watt (d.1921) in 1943. Speke was initially bequeathed to the Norris family (who built the original house during the 16th century). It was then leased to Liverpool City Council and later to the Museums Department of Merseyside County Council. The National Trust took over direct management of Speke and its contents in 1986.