Musical instruments, devices and recordings
1855 - 1860
Dalbergia nigra, Ormolu, Rosewood [dalbergia nigra], Tulipwood
1700 mm (H)1320 mm (W)700 mm (D)Order this image
Speke Hall, Merseyside (Accredited Museum)
Upright Piano by Dreaper's of Liverpool. Exhibition quality, Louis XV style tulipwood case with rosewood cross-banding, the upper half with three scrolled reserves of pleated green silk separated by dividers pierced with arabesques; three oval floral ceramic plaques on lid and one on each end (cf. 1195637.1-5); elaborate ormolu mounts including two term figures as consoles to keyboard; a pair of single-branch sconces.
Acquired c.1860 by Richard Watt V (1835-65); Adelaide Watt (1857-1921); Trustees of the Speke Estate, 1921-1928; Liverpool Museum, Rushworth and Dreaper Collection of Musical Instruments, 1928-2010; transferred to the National Trust, 2010
Marks and inscriptions
Nameplate above keyboard: BY THEIR MAJESTIES' ROYAL LETTERS PATENT FOR ENGLAND & FRANCE, DREAPER'S COMPENSATING BARS and HARMONIC CHAMBERS, AGENTS IN LONDON AND PARIS, AND AT THE PATENTEE'S, 56, BOLD STREET, LIVERPOOL.