One of a pair of marquetry inlaid princeswood side tables, English, circa 1690-1700. Each with a triple banded rectangular top inlaid with arabesque or 'seaweed' marquetry panels above a single frieze drawer and raised on 'in line' S scroll legs tied by a shaped X stretcher and with bun feet. The base inlaid with conforming marquetry panels.
A pair of mirrors (NT 1190825) display a very similar style of marquetry, also inlaid on princeswood they are almost certainly by the same workshop and supplied together. The 'suite' is of fine quality, emphasised by the use of princeswood and the high quality marquetry panels, the carved fret work to the mirror cresting is of particular note. Illustrated by Bowett in English Furniture 1660-1714 pl.9:9. (James Weedon, October 2017)
Thought to have been bought from Holme Lacey by Lord and Lady Chesterfield when they purchased Beningbrough in 1917. Beningbrough Hall was given to the National Trust in 1958 in lieu of death duties by the Countess of Chesterfield. Documented in the 1958 Auction Catalogue and in the Ministry of Works "Schedule of objects given to the National Trust for preservation at Beningbrough Hall".
Bowett 2002 Adam Bowett, English Furniture 1660-1714, 2002 , pl.9:9