Cabinet on stand
circa 1690 (and later)
Walnut, olivewood, oak, deal, ebonised beech, brass
154 cm (H); 104.5 cm (W); 49.5 cm (D)
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Powis Castle and Garden, Powys (Accredited Museum)
A walnut cross banded and olivewood 'oyster' cabinet on stand, English, circa 1690 and later. The upper section with moulded edge and a frieze drawer above a pair of cupboard doors enclosing ten drawers around a cupboard door, the stand with a further frieze drawer and raised on twist turned legs and ebonised bun feet, joined by shaped stretchers. Extensive alterations to the stand and drawers.
Part of the indigenous collection of Powis Castle accepted in part satisfaction of the Estate duty after the death of the Right Honourable George Charles, 4th Earl of Powis, on 9th November 1952. The contract of the 'Offer of Property in Satisfaction of Estate Duty under the National Land Fund Scheme' was completed on 21st March 1963.