Oil painting on canvas, Mary Napier, Lady Myddelton (1598-1675), English school, 19th century, inscribed in archaising hand with sitter's name, bottom left. A three-quarter-length potrait of 2nd wife of Sir Thomas Myddelton II, seated, to left in widow's garb. Expanded copy of the half-length of c.1670, CHI/P/15.
probably commissioned by Colonel Robert Myddelton Biddulph (1805 - 1872); thence by inheritance; with some of the contents, in 1978, that were acquired along with Chirk Castle from Lt-Col Ririd Myddelton (1902–1988) by the National Land Fund and handed, on loan for 99 years, to the Secretary of State for Wales (In 1981 Chirk was transferred into the ownership of the National Trust); accepted by the Inland Revenue in lieu of Inheritance Tax from the estate of Lt-Col Ririd Myddelton (1902–1988) and transferred to the National Trust for display to the public at Chirk Castle in 1999
Chirk Castle, The Myddelton Collection (National Trust)
Marks and inscriptions
sitters name, bottom left.
Makers and roles
British (English) School