Oil painting on canvas, A Stag Hunt at Chirk by John Wootton (Snitterfield c.1682 – London 1765), signed: JW (in red monogram), a pastiche of Jan Wyck, circa 1715. The castle is shown on the left as it was before 1719, when the Davies brothers’ screen and gates were set in place before the Chirk Castle forecourt, and the old stable by the north-west tower and classical bathhouse in centre are discernible. On the right are the Berwyn mountains, much exaggerated in height. Sir Richard Myddelton 3rd Baronet (1655-1716) is probably in the hunting party, in the foreground, with his son, William (Sir William Myddelton, 4th Bt (1694-1718) and his daughter, Mary Myddelton (1688-1747).
With some of the contents, in 1978, that were acquired along with Chirk Castle from Lt-Col Ririd Myddelton (1902–1988) by the National Land Fund and handed, on loan for 99 years, to the Secretary of State for Wales (In 1981 Chirk was transferred into the ownership of the National Trust)
Chirk Castle, The Myddelton Collection (National Trust)
Makers and roles
John Wootton (Snitterfield c.1682 – London 1765), artist
Harris 1979 John Harris, The Artist and the Country House. A History of Country House and Garden View Painting in Britain 1540-1870, London 1979, no. 242
Lord 2000 Peter Lord, The Visual Culture of Wales: Imaging the Nation, Cardiff University of Wales Press, 2000, p.90, illus fig.138