Bone inlay picture
This quirky picture of Chirk Castle was made by William Roberts one of the families Porters. It shows how the castle looked in 1735 when the Davies gates were in their original position. It is made by inlaying bone and bog oak.
Rare bone inlay picture of Chirk Castle by the Porter, Roberts, 1858, after W.H. Toms' engraving of the NE prospect of the castle dated 1735, set in a border of continuous oak leaf and acorn garlands, the 4 corner reserves with hand and wolf motifs, the 'frame' shaped, the cresting inlaid with hand, wolf and coat of arms motifs. RUTHIN CASTLE 1858' and 'PRESENTED TO MRS R M BIDDULPH CHIRK CASTLE BY W.ROBERTS 1861' Roberts was porter at Ruthin Castle and another example of his work in this technique, a view of Ruthin church, is at Hartsheath, Pontblyddyn. Two tree trunks, 1 piece bone edging and 1 ball.
Previously amongst the chattels that, in 1978, were acquired along with Chirk Castle from Lt-Col Ririd Myddelton (1902–1988) by the National Land Fund and handed, on loan for 99 years, to the Secretary of State for Wales. In 1981 Chirk was transferred into the ownership of the National Trust. Acceptance in lieu, 1999.
Marks and inscriptions
DONE BY W.ROBERTS THE PORTER (verso) and PRESENTED TO MRS R M BIDDULPH CHIRK CASTLE BY W.ROBERTS 1861 (verso)
Makers and roles
W. Roberts, artist William Henry Toms (b. London 1712 - London c.1750) , artist