176.5 x 143 x 59 cm
Place of origin
DenbighshireOrder this image
Erddig, Wrexham (Accredited Museum)
A joined oak livery cupboard, Welsh, probably made in Denbighshire, dated 1719. Having a later moulded cornice and backboards, and of two doors, each of four fielded panels and fitted with brass handles and escutcheons, raised on a chest base of four fielded panels. The ends not panelled. Fitted to the interior with hanging pegs. The frieze carved with the initials 'GG' and the date '1719'.
Reputedly entered the collection in lieu of a debt, and thence by descent until given by Phillip Yorke III (1905-1978) along with the estate, house and contents to the National Trust in 1973
Marks and inscriptions
On the frieze: GG 1719