Oil painting on panel, A Village in Brazil, by Frans Post (Haarlem 1612 – Haarlem 1680), signed, lower right, in same shade of green as surrounding foliage: F. POST, circa 1670-1680. A view of a Brazilian village in the middle ground, with a palm tree and rustic churches on the left beneath a palm tree, and houses in the centre and on the right; a wide, flattish landscape under a blue sky with clouds beyond; a pineapple in the foreground, left, and two figures on a path in the centre foreground, with others gathered in and around the church porch beyond.
From 1637 to 1644 Post travelled to Brazil and the West-Indies in the retinue of Count Johan Maurits of Nassau-Siegen, who had been sent by the Dutch West India Company to colonise north-east Brazil. Post was probably the first European to paint landscapes of the New World.
In around 1683 catalogue as Post and 1683 valuation list as Dewit and thence by descent until acquired in 1948 by HM Government when Sir Lyonel, 4th Bt (1854 – 1952) and Sir Cecil Tollemache, 5th Bt (1886 – 1969) presented Ham House to the National Trust, and entrusted to the care of the Victoria & Albert Museum, until 1990, when returned to the care of the National Trust, and to which ownership was transferred in 2002
Marks and inscriptions
Verso: on back of panel in ink: A Landsckip of a West Indian Plantation – by De Wit Pret: £5:0:0:; in brown ink, bold : 33; in blue ink on laid paper: 95; and on a later label: B / 2749.
Makers and roles
Frans Post (Haarlem 1612 – Haarlem 1680), artist
Corrêa do Lago 2007 Pedro & Bìa Corrêa do Lago, Frans Post (1612–1680): Catalogue raisonné, Milan, 2007, no.145, p.326