Queen Mary (of Modena) (1658-1718)
studio of Sir Peter Lely (Soest 1618 – London 1680)
Mary Beatrice Eleanor Anne Margaret Isabella d'Este was baptised Maria, but called Mary from the time of her marriage to James II (1633-1688). She was the daughter of Alfonso d’Este III, Duke of Modena and Laura Martinozzi, daughter of Girolamo Martinozzi. She was crowned Queen Consort by Catholic rites on 22 April, 1685 at Westminster Abbey. She died at the Chateau of St Germain-en-Laye, Paris, of cancer, and was buried in the Abbey of the Visitation of St Mary, Chaillot, France (her body was destroyed during the French Revolution). She had 12 children, all of whom were stillborn or died in infancy, with the exception of Louis Maria Theresa (who lived until twenty), and James Francis Edward, called James III (The Old Pretender; 1688 -1766). This is a version of a portrait by Lely that was scraped in mezzotint in reverse, the probable original of which is in the Bathurst collection.
Oil painting on canvas, Queen Mary (of Modena) (1658-1718) by studio of Sir Peter Lely (Soest 1618 – London 1680). 1678. A three-quarter-length portrait, almost facing, seated with a dog at her left side, wearing a brownish-red dress and blue cloak; relief of putti, left.
In Lady Louisa Cavendish 1860 catalogue of Hardwick Hall; thence by inheritance until, following the death of Edward William Spencer Cavendish, 10th Duke of Devonshire (1895 - 1950), Hardwick Hall and its contents were accepted by HM Treasury in part payment of death duties and transferred to the National Trust, in 1959
Hardwick Hall, The Devonshire Collection (National Trust)
Makers and roles
studio of Sir Peter Lely (Soest 1618 – London 1680), artist