circa 1690 (and later)
143.5 x 139 x 67 cm
Place of origin
Hardwick Hall, Derbyshire (Accredited Museum)
An oak standing livery or press cupboard, English, late 17th century. Fitted with a moulded cornice above a door of four panels, all with edge moulding, and fitted with a brass knob and 'frog-leg' iron hinges. Fitted to the interior with a pair of shelves. The ends panelled. Raised on a later (19th century) base moulding and four turned and tapering legs with ball feet.
By descent until, following the death of Edward William Spencer Cavendish, 10th Duke of Devonshire (1895 - 1950), Hardwick Hall and its contents were accepted by HM Treasury in part payment of death duties and transferred to the National Trust, in 1959.