Ernö Goldfinger (Budapest 1902 - 1987)
1930 - 1977
Sapele, plywood, steel, brass, formica
69.2 x 183 x 83.6 cmOrder this image
2 Willow Road, London (Accredited Museum)
On show at
This is another cleverly designed object originally used by Ernö Goldfinger at the office of his architecture firm in Piccadilly. The drawers open on a pivot which means that the back of the drawer is always easily accessible.
A wood and laminate kneehole desk, English, circa 1930-1977, designed by Ernö Goldfinger, the rectangular top covered with black plastic laminate, the plain wood frieze with a single writing slide to the right-hand side, the top supported on four black lacquered metal tubular legs, the rear two legs freestanding, the front two legs each supporting a block of drawers, the left-hand block with three drawers which revolve around the supporting leg to swing forward exposing the entire interior of the drawer, the right-hand block with two drawers (one shallow, one deep) also revolving on the supporting leg, the drawers with metal linings to the interior and modern clear plastic tops to protect the contents of the drawers.
Bequeathed to the National Trust by Ernö Goldfinger (1902-1987) and Ursula Ruth Blackwell, Mrs Ernö Goldfinger (d.1991), formally acquired in 1994.
Makers and roles
Ernö Goldfinger (Budapest 1902 - 1987), designer