A mahogany serpentine card table, English, 18th century, the fold-over top opening to reveal a tooled green baize lined interior, the table top rim carved with ribbons and rosettes, on four cabriole legs, the front legs carved to knees with foliage and scroll ears, the rear legs plain, terminating in foliate carved overscroll feet and plain overscroll rear feet, with folding concertina-action. The shape of the top and the carving to the knees is similar to that found in Thomas Chippendale pieces.
Chartwell was purchased by Winston Churchill in 1922 and for the next 40 years it was the family home. Presented to the National Trust in 1946, Winston and Clementine Churchill continued to live there until 1965 when it was relinquished to the management of the National Trust. Much of the contents of Chartwell were accepted by the Treasury in payment of death duty and retained in the house. Lady Churchill also gifted many pieces and others are on loan from the Churchill family.