Sir Winston's standing desk
Sir Albert Edward Richardson KCVO, FRIBA, FSA, PRA (London 1880 – Ampthill 1964)
123 x 161.5 x 51.5 cm
Place of origin
BedfordshireOrder this image
Chartwell, Kent (Accredited Museum)
A mahogany standing desk, English, circa 1949, the sloping top with moulded book rest to its lower edge, the flat top section with three-quarter spindle gallery, below the sloped surface are two shelves with moulded fronts, arced apron below, the shelves are enclosed to the sides, on four square-section legs, the front legs incised, the underside of the desk on the left side stamped 'WHITES OF BEDFORD/ FEC.' in a chamfered rectangle The desk with an engraved silver plaque to the centre top reading 'Diana Randolph Sarah Mary/ Duncan June Antony Christopher/ Christmas 1949'.
Chartwell was purchased by Winston Churchill in 1922 and for the next 40 years it was the family home. Presented to the National Trust in 1946, Winston and Clementine Churchill continued to live there until 1965 when it was relinquished to the management of the National Trust. Much of the contents of Chartwell were accepted by the Treasury in payment of death duty and retained in the house. Lady Churchill also gifted many pieces and others are on loan from the Churchill family. Located in the study at Chartwell, the standing desk was a gift to Sir Winston Churchill from his children and children-in-law for Christmas 1949. It was designed by Sir Albert Richardson (President of the Royal Academy and founder of the Georgian Group) and manufactured at the Pyghtle Works, Bedford.
Makers and roles
Sir Albert Edward Richardson KCVO, FRIBA, FSA, PRA (London 1880 – Ampthill 1964), designer Pyghtle Works, manufacturer