A limed oak coronation chair, one of a pair, English, circa 1937, with rectangular cushioned back and curved seat, on four square-section legs, the back and seats upholstered in green velvet with yellow trim, the seat backs embroidered with the royal monogram 'GR VI'. Made for the coronation of King George VI.
Chartwell was purchased by Winston Churchill in 1922 and for the next 40 years it was the family home. Presented to the National Trust in 1946, Winston and Clementine Churchill continued to live there until 1965 when it was relinquished to the management of the National Trust. Much of the contents of Chartwell were accepted by the Treasury in payment of death duty and retained in the house. Lady Churchill also gifted many pieces and others are on loan from the Churchill family.