A silver salt, one of a set of 4 silver-gilt Rococo style salts with glass dish insert. Decoration consisting of silver entwined leaves and stems made by Frances Waysmith and purchased by the 1st Lord Scaradale through the London dealer Philips Garden in 1757. Broad base tapering into a narrow trunk and broad silver basin supported on three leaves with insects and lizards mounted on the foliage. Introduced to Kedleston in the 1990's as part of the restoration of the Dining Room.
Purchased, date uncertain.
Marks and inscriptions
F. W. B [rampant lion] [smiling king with crown] (maker's marks, stamped, underside of base, text and heraldic symbols)
Makers and roles
Frances Waysmith, silversmith