Oil painting on copper, The Holy Family with the Infant Saint John, after Guido Reni (Bologna 1575 – Bologna 1642), 17th century. The infant cousins meet for the first time when they are both in Egypt. First recorded in the Withdrawing Room in 1771, this little painting has a distinguished provenance: the duc de Tallard (who owned the so-called 'Tallard Madonna', circle of Giorgione, now in Ashmolean Museum, Oxford); Dr Bragge's sale in 1757, and John Barnard. These help to show how seriously its old attribution to Guido Reni was taken; and indeed, it does appear to have been inspired by a little painting on copper of the same subject by Reni, which was once in the collection of Louis XIV.
Collection of duc de Tallard (1652–1728); bought by Dr Bragge (d. 1777); Dr Bragge’s sale, 1757; recorded in 'John Barnard's House Berkeley Square in London and Environs, 1761'; acquired from John Barnard (1709 - 1784) and recorded in Kedleston in 1766; bought with part of the contents of Kedleston with the aid of the National Heritage Memorial Fund in 1987 when the house and park were given to the National Trust by Francis Curzon, 3rd Viscount Scarsdale (1924-2000)
Kedleston Hall, The Scarsdale Collection (acquired with the help of the National Heritage Memorial Fund and transferred to The National Trust in 1987)
Marks and inscriptions
Recto: Guido Reni (mark, painted, botton rhs of frame, black text)
Verso: Inscribed on back of frame: Guido / bought by R.Bragge 1756 / at the Duc de Tallards Sale.
Verso: Inscribed on the back of the copper plate: J: B-- / No:13. / Guido
Makers and roles
after Guido Reni (Bologna 1575 – Bologna 1642), artist