John Gregory Crace (London 1809 – Dulwich 1889)
1851 - 1875
Oak, silvered glass and metal
4775 x 860 mm; 2745 mm (Length)Order this image
Tyntesfield, North Somerset
On show at
The Crace family began producing furniture in 1768 and John Gregory joined the family firm in 1826. He worked closely with the Victorian Gothic designer E. W. Pugin on the decorations for Westminster Palace and even provided furniture for Pugin’s own home in Ramsgate.
A mid-Victorian large oak carved sideboard with a mirror in the upper section, flanked by open shelves carved at the backs with foliage, and centred by the Gibbs' coat of arms. The lower section, with a linen fold, panelled, arched recess, is flanked by two cupboards carved with the cipher of William Gibbs and Matilda Blanche Gibbs. Overall it is heavily decorated with foliage carving and metal fittings.
Purchased from the estate of the late Lord Wraxall with the assistance of the NHMF and donations from members and supporters.
Makers and roles
John Gregory Crace (London 1809 – Dulwich 1889), designer