John Dixon (1783 - 1857)
Stained glass and lead
966 x 523 x 10 mm
Place of origin
NorwichOrder this image
Felbrigg, Norfolk (Accredited Museum)
In the 1840s the Great Hall was radically altered. Heavy oak door-cases were installed, a new ceiling with huge wooden pendants was fitted and these stained glass windows dating from 1450 to the 19th century were added. Today the glass creates beautiful patterns on the walls and floor in the afternoon sunlight.
A stained glass panel. showing The Annunciation, a copy of the original St Peter Mancroft panel made by John Dixon in 1837. A copy by John Dixon of an original fifteenth century panel from the East window of St Peter Mancroft. Dates c.1837-41 (inscription in row 2 states 1841). The panel depicts the Annunciation, with an angel kneeling on the left to face the Virgin, seated on the right with a book open in her lap and liles to her right. There is a scroll with a latin inscription above the angel’s head which reads: Ave gratia plena dús tecum. A scroll above the Virgin’s head reads: Ecce ancilla dḿi (domini). The holy spirit and Christ carrying the cross fly down to the Virgin. There is a scrolling floral pattern with a sun in the centre above this scene. The outer borders show a repeated crowned monogram - an overlapping ‘WW’ for William Wykeham.
Victorian copy of the original at St Peter Mancroft, Norwich. Part of the stained glass collection amassed in the mid-nineteenth century by William Howe Windham (1802-1854) Part of the Windham Collection. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust in 1969 by Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer (1906-1969).
Makers and roles
John Dixon (1783 - 1857), stained glass maker