Arms of the town of Lucerne, carried by a knight; Arms of Adrien Burkhardt and Hans Bornhaus and a scene from Matthew, chapter xxii.
circa 1588 - circa 1850
Place of origin
SwitzerlandOrder this image
Felbrigg, Norfolk (Accredited Museum)
In the 1840s the Great Hall was radically altered. Heavy oak door-cases were installed, a new ceiling with huge wooden pendants was fitted and these stained glass windows dating from 1450 to the 19th century were added. Today the glass creates beautiful patterns on the walls and floor in the afternoon sunlight.
A stained glass panel comprising two Swiss panels: The arms of the town of Lucerne carried by a knight, 1588, and a panel dedicated to Adrien Burkhardt and Hans Bornhaus, with their arms and a scene illustrating Matthew, chapter xxii, c.1600. They are attributed to Wolfgang Spengler of Constance and originally from Weinfelden town hall. Both are set in Victorian diaper fields.
Part of the stained glass collection amassed in the mid-nineteenth century by William Howe Windham (1802-1854) Part of the Windham Collection. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust in 1969 by Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer (1906-1969).
Makers and roles
Wolfgang Spengler, stained glass artist