A brass-mounted kingwood-veneered strongbox, Anglo-Dutch, circa 1675. Veneered to the exterior with kingwood and to the interior with rosewood, and bound and embellished with foliate brass mounts and straps. The front top and sides oyster-veneered. There are three hinges to the lid and three to the fall front opening to an interior fitted with a large compartment and three drawers, as well as secret drawers. Raised on a gilt gesso stand, English, circa 1730 [NT 1139751.2]. -- According to Thornton and Tomlin, this strongbox could be one of the two described in the inventory of 1683, in the Duchess's Bedchamber.
Acquired in 1948 by HM Government when Sir Lyonel, 4th Bt (1854 – 1952) and Sir Cecil Tollemache, 5th Bt (1886 – 1969) presented Ham House to the National Trust, and entrusted to the care of the Victoria & Albert Museum, until 1990, when returned to the care of the National Trust, and to which ownership was transferred in 2002.
Thornton and Tomlin 1980 Peter Thornton, and Maurice Tomlin. “The Furnishing and Decoration of Ham House.” Furniture History, The Journal of The Furniture History Society Vol.XVI, 1980, fig 68