Waddesdon Manor was built in 1874-89 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild by Gabriel-Hippolye Destailluer and is perhaps the most extravagant expression in Britain of the short-lived French Renaissance Revival. A lover of 18th-century French art, Rothschild hired Destailluer (a French architect) and Elie Lainé (a French landscape designer) to achieve his vision of a château in the middle of the Buckinghamshire countryside. The result is an asymmetrical composition of bright yellow Bath stone as well as a pastiche of references to various French châteaux, including Blois and Chambord. Waddesdon has a particularly dramatic roofline of flèches, spires, turrets, pinnacles and steeply pitched roofs. The interior decoration is strictly French 18th century, much of it imported by Rothschild. For example, there is Louis XV panelling (c.1750) from the Paris house of the Maréchal-Duc de Richelieu and Louis XVI panelling (c.1770-6) from the home of the financier Nicolas Beaujon.