Architecture / Features & Decoration
circa 1810 - circa 1820
Rosewood, oak, deal, brass, gilt brass
288 cm (Height)
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Melford Hall, Suffolk (Accredited Museum)
A set of rosewood library bookcases, English, circa 1810 - 1820. Of Empire style. Of various widths, and built-in. Topped by a moulded and gilt-highlighted cornice above upper doors lined with a pierced brass grille and fitted with five shelves. The uprights mounted with mounts cast as roundels between acanthus leaves. With a waist moulding and paneled lower doors, some with gilt brass mounts of laurel wreaths. On a plinth base.
Traditionally, it is believed that the 7th Baronet bought the rosewood furniture which furnishes the octagonal end of the Library at Melford on the Marquess of Hastings' death in 1826, but it is possible that they were purchased in 1813, when the contents of the Marquess' (then Earl Moira) London home in St. James' Place were sold at auction by Phillips on 22nd May, shortly after he left for India in April. This was the same year that the library at Melford was completed.
Purchased by Sir William Parker, 7th Bt. (1769 - 1830) at the sale of effects of Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings (1754 - 1826) either in 1813 or 1826. Thence by descent and included in the freehold transfer by the Treasury to the National Trust in 1960.
Marks and inscriptions
Locks: GR PATENT
Jackson-Stops (1981), Gervase Jackson-Stops, 'Thomas Hopper at Melford and Erddig', in National Trust Studies 1981, 69 - 83