Part of Christ's Hospital taken from the Stewards Office: 1765
Art / Prints
1 Jan 1793
Paper, glass and wood
Image - 219 mm (width); 323 mm (height), Frame - 257 mm (width); 362 mm (height)
Place of origin
Great Mays Buildings, St. Martins LaneOrder this image
National Trust Museum of Childhood (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Not on show
Print, black and white, Part of Christ's Hospital taken from the Stewards Office: 1765. A framed black and white print depicting part of Christ's Hospital taken from the Stewards Office 1765. Just to the right of the centre are three arches with a group of people standing in front of the left-hand one. A man with two children stands in the foreground. The image is framed in a brown oval with the following text in printed copperplate beneath: 'A View Of The Library Founded In 1429 By Richard Whittington. It was 129 feet long and 31 feet in breadth, entirely cieled with Wainscot with 28 wainscot desks, and 8 double Settles. On the South side of this cloister which is in tolerable preservation, is an escutcheon of the Arms of Whittington in two places. It was furnished with Books at the expence of £556.10s of which £400 were given by the founder, and the remainder by Dr. Thomas Winchelsey, a brother of the House. see Pennants London'.
Marks and inscriptions
Inside and beneath the oval frame: 'Part of Christ's Hospital taken from the Stewards Office 1765/ Benjamin Green sculpt./ London. Pubd. Jany.1-1793 by N. Smith Gt. Mays Buildings St. Martins Lane.'
Makers and roles
N. Smith, engraver and publisher