Giltwood, embroidery, glass
101 x 81 x 61 cm
Place of origin
FranceOrder this image
Berrington Hall, Herefordshire (Accredited Museum)
This giltwood embroidered fire screen is one of a number of collection objects that can be seen at Berrington which previously belonged to the Comte de Flahaut who was the son of the French diplomat Talleyrand and became Aide-de-Camp to the Emperor Napoleon and later French ambassador to London.
A giltwood fire screen, French, circa 1880. The rectangular embroidered panel depicting a repeating floral and strapwork pattern, under glass, the frame carved with a foliate crest, standing on arched downswept and leaf-carved legs with scroll feet. The embroidery is worked in polychrome silks, metal threads and chenille on an undyed linen ground.
Bequeathed to the National Trust by Mrs C.V. Lawson in 1981.