Edith Teresa Hulton, later Lady Berwick (1890-1972) with Mrs Watkins - Costalunga, August 1918
Photographic paper attached to card page of album
111 x 79 mmOrder this image
Attingham Park, Shropshire (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Not on show
A monochrome photograph of Edith Teresa Hulton sitting with Mrs Watkins and a group of four men in military uniform in a woodland area. Teresa is sitting in the centre of the photograph and is wearing a black coat over a white blouse and also a white hat. She has her right hand resting on her knee in front of her. Mrs Watkins is sitting to the right of Teresa and is wearing a white coat or blanket and a white hat with a black band around it. Three of the men in uniform are standing behind the women, to Teresa's left, while the fourth man is sitting to the right of Mrs Watkins and is holding some binoculars in his left hand. All of the group appear to be looking at something in front of them. Trees and vegetation are visible in the background. Photograph 223 of 227 contained in Volume 3 of Edith Teresa Hulton's personal photograph albums (1906 - 1919). Teresa Hulton began working as a nurse for the British Red Cross (BRC) in May 1915 when a BRC unit was sent to the Italian front following the Italian decision to join the Allied side in the war. Teresa and her elder sister Gioconda assisted Mrs Watkins who had used her own money and raised funds from other friends and lovers of Italy to help provide for the wounded on the Italian Front. Teresa was based for much of the remainder of the war at Cervignano, north-east of Venice, where she was close to the front line fighting during the various battles for Isonzo. Mrs Watkins and her team set up canteens for the trains carrying wounded soldiers at the stations at Cervignano and San Giovanni Manzano. The principal work of the nurses was to feed and tend to the needs of the wounded who arrived on hospital trains. They also assisted the Red Cross doctors when required. In December 1918, Teresa Hulton was awarded the Italian medal the Croce di Guerra (Italian Cross of War) for her service with the Red Cross during the First World War. The medal remains part of the collection at Attingham Park along with her Red Cross armbands and headscarf, see National Trust Inventory Numbers 609992, 609766.1 and 609745. Letters and certificates relating to Teresa Hultons service in the Red Cross are in the Attingham Collection, Shropshire Archives Accession 112. Teresa Hulton became Lady Berwick when she married Thomas Henry Noel-Hill, 8th Baron Berwick of Attingham (1877-1947) on 30 June 1919. This photograph was taken at Costalunga which is assumed to be Passo Costalunga in the South Tyrol region of Italy. See also National Trust Inventory Numbers 610177.222 and 610177.223.
8th Lady Berwick collection; bequeathed to the National Trust by Edith Teresa Hulton, Lady Berwick (1890-1972)