Mahogany, deal, brass, cardboard and glass
110.5 cm (Height); 36 cm (Diameter)
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Attingham Park, Shropshire (Accredited Museum)
On show at
A mahogany 'country house' post or pillar box, English, circa 1870. Of octagonal form, the domed cover topped by an acorn finial. The slot for letters edged with a Gothic brass plate above a door fitted with a Bramah lock and with a framed card behind glass detailing postal rates. On a moulded base. -- The postal rates, for 'Inland Letters', are apparently those current in 1885. They are as follows: '1oz...1d; 2"...1 1/2d; 4"...2d; 6"...2 1/2d; 8oz...3d; 10"...3 1/2d; 12"...4d; 13"...4 1/2d'. The 'times for posting' are recorded as 'Afternoon 5.30'.
Listed in the Inventory taken at Attingham Park in 1861 (p. 103) and in the Inventory taken there in 1913 (p. 81). Attingham collection; bequeathed to the National Trust with the estate, house and partial contents of Attingham by Thomas Henry Noel-Hill, 8th Baron Berwick (1877-1947) and transferred to the National Trust on 15th May 1953.
Marks and inscriptions
Inside door: £5.10.00 (presumably the maker's price)