Rosewood, purpleheart, oak, ormolu, glass
130 x 150 x 40 cm
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Attingham Park, Shropshire (Accredited Museum)
On show at
A rosewood and purpleheart display cabinet, or cabinet bookcase, English, circa 1835, one of a pair. Some of the mounts possibly later and these have formerly been attributed to either Edward Holmes Baldock (1777 - 1845) or Town and Emanuel (fl. 1830 - 1849). Strung with brass throughout, and mounted at the corners of the frieze with foliate ormolu mounts. The pair of doors with concave top inner corners and lined with heavy panels of beveled glass with a leaf-cast ormolu slip. The central upright topped by a foliate cast mount above a pair of 'sunken' lockplates decorated with four shells to form a quatrefoil. The doors each enclosing a pair of shelves with brass-strung edge. The ends with figural mounts, of a putto with a globe atop a waisted outlined plinth. All raised on a tall plinth base with arched cutaways and foliate-cast mounts. The locks marked 'PATENT'.
Attingham collection; bequeathed to the National Trust by Edith Teresa Hulton, Lady Berwick (1890-1972) and transferred to the National Trust by H.M. Treasury in 1976.
Marks and inscriptions