1650 - 1700
Ceramic, Maiolica (Tin–Glazed Earthenware)
55 mm (Depth); 450 mm (Diameter)Order this image
Montacute House, Somerset (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Dish or hand-washing basin for a ewer, maiolica (tin-glazed earthenware), circular, of silver shape with imitation repoussé moulding of scrolls on the rim and shell-shaped panels around the raised central boss. Painted in ‘calligrafico naturalistico’ shades of cobalt blue, yellow ochre and copper green. The central panel depicts a putto holding a horn of plenty/ cornucopia, and a dog or wolf, surrounded by birds and animals within flowering foliage, the border with a repeated foliate scroll device forming narrow panels, the reverse marked with three stars and three crown devices the mark of the Manifattura Melchiorre Conrado, Albisola, near Genoa, in the province of Savona, Italy 1650-1700. See Loredana Pessa,'Le Ceramiche Liguri', Musei e Collezioni della citta di Genova, 2005 We are grateful for the assistance of Justin Raccanello in identifying the maker of this dish. Previously catalogued as 'Circa 1600, Carrodi factory, Albissola, Genoa.'
from the Gautier Collection 2997