circa 1640 (and later)
86 cm (H); 366 cm (W); 99 mm (D)
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Treasurer's House, North Yorkshire (Accredited Museum)
A joined oak 'refectory' type table, English, dated 1686 but re-constructed and adapted from an earlier table. Bearing the initials W.C. With an associated plank top and null carved frieze raised on six bulbous 'cup and cover' legs joining stretchers and moulded plinth feet. Two associated stools (NT 592839) are matched to the table but are not contemporary.
The table has two benches or forms (NT 592839 & 840) which slide under on their sides when not in use, resting on the stretchers. It is thought that they are contemporary and made by the same craftsman but this is unlikely. The house inventory of 1930 states that the initials W.C are those of 'William Cass - Peep of Day Hasingfold' The table and benches are illustrated in Macquoid 'The Age of Oak' 1904. (James Weedon, November 2019)
Given by Frank Green (1861-1954) along with house, garden and contents to the National Trust in 1930.
Marks and inscriptions
Macquoid, Percy, d.1905. history of English furniture / 1904-1908., Age of Oak p.206