A large mahogany pedestal desk or library table adorned with Regency gilt bronze mounts and two large lion’s heads. It is one of at least five similar variation made by the firm Tatham Bailey & Saunders of Mount Street, London between c.1811 and 1815. The most splendid was supplied to the Prince Regent for the Blue Velvet Room at Carlton House in 1811 (Hugh Roberts, For The King's Pleasure, London 2001, p. 341). In the same year, Tatham, Bailey & Saunders, supplied an almost identical desk to that for Carlton House, but lacking its intricate gilt-bronze gallery and gilt-bronze lion heads on the sides, to William Lee Antoine for Colworth House, Bedfordshire (Exceptional Sale, Christie’s London, 10 July 2014, lot. 15). The Anglesey Abbey desk, acquired by the 1st Lord Fairhaven (NT 514610) is a simpler version of this desk. A fourth, significantly larger one was made for Sackville Tufton, 9th Earl of Thanet for Hatfield Place, Ashford, Kent (The Property of the News of the World Ltd, Christie’s London, 27 November 1969, lot. 142). The most famous of the series was of a more obviously Grecian type, made in 1815 for the 1st Marquess of Anglesey, cavalry commander at Waterloo (Christie’s London, 8 July 1993, lot. 125).
Bequeathed to the National Trust by Huttleston Rogers Broughton, 1st Lord Fairhaven (1896-1966) with the house and the rest of the contents.