1830 - 1850
Carved, parcel gilt and painted wood, velvet needlework
133 x 52 x 42 cmOrder this image
Petworth House and Park, West Sussex (Accredited Museum)
On show at
A high-back carved chair, one of a set of twelve, mid-nineteenth century, of parcel gilt and green painted stippled wood, the seat and back upholstered with early Italian velvet needlework.
By descent, until the death in 1952 of the 3rd Lord Leconfield, who had given Petworth to the National Trust in 1947, and whose nephew and heir, John Wyndham, 6th Lord Leconfield and 1st Lord Egremont (1920-72) arranged for the acceptance of the major portion of the collections at Petworth in lieu of death duties (the first ever such arrangement) in 1956 by H.M.Treasury.