Historic Services / Lighting
1800 - 1900
254 mm (Height); 200 mm (Diameter)Order this image
Townend, Cumbria (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Light Intensifier in the form of a hand blown glass bowl with a circular base and lip to top (late 18th - early 19th century); used for increasing the intensity of candlelight. The bowl was filled with water and a candle placed behind it. The light was then concentrated onto a small area, enabling spinning, embroidery, etc.