Lead crystal glass, brass and paper
50 mm (Height); 230 mm (Diameter); 50 mm (Height); 335 mm (Diameter); 5 mm (Height); 200 mm (Diameter); 285 mm (Height); 770 mm (Diameter)
Tyntesfield, North Somerset
On show at
Not on show
Large, glass pendant and gilded brass chandelier similar to the central chandelier hanging in the Drawing Room, found dismantled, with glass pendants wrapped and packed in boxes, with several notes written in pencil regarding the contents, in the Main Cellar Corridor. A paper label is attached to the brass frame with the following information on one side; / Part of Glass / Chandelier / from Pyte / 8/1/58 /. On the other side of the label is part of a photograph of jewellery with the following printed; / HYDE PARK 0739 /. The gilded brass frame is divided into a large, elaborate main body with three additional rings attached by a long gilded brass pole. The chandelier is described from the top as follows; a small, gilded brass, circular crown with three central brass spokes, twenty-two small metal hooks evenly spaced around the base of the crown for glass pendants to hang from, and around the top twenty-six curved gilded brass arms ending in five-pointed stars from which glass pendants would hang. The second tier comprises a large, circular, gilded brass crown with four central brass spokes, thirty-six metal hooks evenly spaced around the base of the crown for glass pendants to hang from, and around the top forty-five curved gilded brass arms ending in five-pointed stars from which glass pendants would hang. A third plain brass ring with three central spokes has thirty-six metal hooks evenly spaced around the ring for twenty-four glass pendant chains to hang from. The large, main body of the chandelier comprises five gilded brass rings decreasing in size. The last and smallest ring at the base is an ornate circle of petal shapes with a solid brass hook protruding from which a lead crystal ball is suspended. The chandelier is stored in the five cardboard boxes (NT24858.1 to NT24858.5) it was originally found in, with the same newspaper (dated between 1955 to 1957) it was originally wrapped and kept in the boxes. (There are extensive notes written about this chandelier and which pendants fit where.)
Purchased from the estate of the late Lord Wraxall with the assistance of the NHMF and donations from members and supporters.