A sycamore and stained fruitwood marquetry table cabinet, South German, probably Augsburg, last half of the sixteenth century. Possibly once with a fall, or pair of hinged doors, enclosing the interior. Now with nine small drawers with edge mouldings surrounding a central small cupboard door. Raised on four ebonized bun feet. The top inlaid with flowers and leaves in a roundel, and sprays of peonies and tulips. The sides, cupboard door and drawer fronts all inlaid with architectural and foliate marquetry in various stained woods.
Listed in the Inventory taken at Wimpole in 1939 in Bedroom No. 18 (p. 34) and in the Inventory taken in 1965 in the Vestibule (p. 46). Date of acquisition not recorded, but probably acquired by George Bambridge (1892 - 1943) and Elsie Bambridge (1896 - 1976), who purchased a largely empty Wimpole in 1938. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust in 1976 by Elsie Bambridge.