1990 - 2006
1191 mm (Height)
575 Wandsworth Road, London
On show at
Not on show
A man’s tweed overcoat, with a green synthetic lining. The tweed is herringbone pattern with a large scale check in fine orange/brown lines. The coat has a high lapel, wide collar and four plastic, simulated horn, circular buttons down the front. Each cuff can be adjusted with a button and the centre back vent features a button fastening. A pocket to each front hip has a vertically aligned self pocket flap which fastens with a button. There is also a pocket inside each breast. A manufacturer’s label reads, ‘CORDINGS OF PICADILLY’. The garment is machine-stitched throughout.
Bequeathed to the National Trust by Khadambi Asalache upon his death in 2006; acquired fully in November 2010.
Marks and inscriptions
On inside of left side.: Embroidered in gold thread with a hunted within an oval plaque surmounted with a crown beneath the script “THE ORIGINAL CORDING’S / ESTD 1839” above further script “CORDINGS of PICCADILLY”. On inside of left side.: “40”, and a black fabric label machine woven in white with “PURE NEW WOOL” in several languages.