Count Diego Ortez di Zúñiga (1633 - 1680)
after Bartolomé Esteban Murillo (Seville 1617 - Seville 1682)
Oil painting on canvas, Count Diego Ortez di Zúñiga (1633 - 1680), after Bartolomé Esteban Murillo (Seville 1617 – Seville 1682). A head-and-shoulders portrait, to left, in a painted oval cartouche supported by putti. Sitter published a history of Seville in 1677. Wears the red cross of the Order of St Iago. Copy of a lost painting probably by Murillo and once in the house of the sitter's descendants, the Marquises of Montefuerte. Ortiz de Züfriiga published a classic history of Seville in 1677. He wears the red cross of the order of Santiago, and this motif is repeated in the decorative painted frame.
Colonel Hugh Baillie sale, Christie's, 15 May 1858, lot 28, buyers name not legible in auctioneer copy; purchased from Charles J. Nieuwenhuys (1799 - 1883) by Colonel the Hon. Edward Douglas-Pennant, 1st Baron Penrhyn of Llandegai (1800 – 1886), after 1858; thence by descent to Hugh Napier Douglas Pennant, 4th Baron Penrhyn of Llangedai (1894 – 1949); on loan from Richard Douglas -Pennant
Penrhyn Castle, The Douglas Pennant Collection (National Trust)
Makers and roles
after Bartolomé Esteban Murillo (Seville 1617 - Seville 1682), artist of original